Wednesday, April 10, 2024

March Book Bracket 2024

 March 2024 Bracket

We're very grateful to be in our new place...and working on getting back to leisure time for reading and listening to audiobooks! It looks like I missed one book in my February lineup, so it's listed first here.



Lost in Thought, by Zena Hitz** (February)

A college professor and Catholic convert considers the intellectual life in what it ought to be as well as where it can fail individuals who approach it with the wrong perspective.

Why I picked it up: It was on my list of books to read after it was quoted in With All Her Mind, a book that has had some far-reaching effects on me since I read it last spring. It was available for free through my Audible subscription.

My impressions: This book was good, but heady enough that it really would be best to read a physical copy. Why, oh why does Audible pick the books that work the worst as audiobooks to make available for free for subscribers? All that aside, I remember the last chapter or so being the most impactful, as it calls out issues with academia today - issues that I see all to easily myself. I appreciate that Hitz addressed the pitfalls of approaching intellectual development as a means to an end, which is certainly an issue for pretty much any college-goer today. I think some of my favorite parts of this book were her excerpts from a work that studied the intellectual life of the working English class, circa the Industrial Revolution. These excerpts were great reminders that one can pursue an intellectual life in spite of less-than-inspiring or intellectual work. Hitz seems to advocate a very sincere search for truth, but claims Catholic institutions (she's a Catholic convert) are also subject to some of the same problems as secular ones (it's been a minute, I can't exactly remember which ones). I'd be curious about what her practical solutions are to some of those problems. Overall, I think it'd be a good book for those who are part of higher learning institutions to read, especially liberal arts colleges.

Understood Betsy, by Dorothy Canfield Fisher**

A girl in the care of overcautious relations learns a new way of living and with her "backwoods" relatives, who teach her different ways of learning and doing.

Why I picked it up: A galpal recommended this one to me a while back. I found out it was different from the Betsy-Tacy series, which I wasn't nearly as interested in, and that it was an audiobook in the public domain.

My impressions: The book had a little bit of a slow start for me, and yet, in spite of that and the lack of clear plot (it's about a girl's moral and mental development with a different set of family), I really enjoyed the book. I loved the depiction of the helicopter-parent-type Aunt Frances, as well as the effects her too-solicitous manner had on Betsy. Some of Betsy's adventures with the Putneys on the Vermont farm had a little feel of Little Women or The Little House on the Prairie series. The ending was extremely satisfying, with Fisher beautifully depicting the difficulties of communicating in a metaphor in the last chapter. This story stirred up in me a love for and wonder of simple things, such as kittens and doing productive work, like making butter. I'd recommend this book to any girl, particularly those who enjoyed the works I mentioned earlier.

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, by Barbara Robinson**

Beth, the daughter of the interim Christmas pageant director, reflects on the experience of having the six Herdman siblings - the bad kids in town - take over the major roles of the church's annual Christmas pageant.

Why I picked it up: I'd heard some of the Read-Aloud Revival folks talk about this work and how enjoyable it was, so I decided to give it a try - even though it was February.

My impressions: There's a mix of feelings left over after finishing a listen to this work. The author did a wonderful job of painting a picture of just how bad the Herdman kids were, and making it extremely funny. At the same time, it was unusual to have a book where so much attention was devoted to just how bad some characters were. I noticed one mention of the kids being accused of only ever talking about sex, and the irreverent use of the Lord's name in vain multiple times, which was meant to be funny. So, there were some definite knocks against blithely reading this book out loud to any and all children - at least, not without some editing and/or discussion. However, there were really wonderful moments in the story, too. Beth's friend, who got intimidated out of her usual role as Mary, shows some very un-Mary-like judgment, depicting a fault that I find all too easily in myself. Robinson really considers what the Christmas story might sound like to people who have never heard the Nativity narrative before - and it brings home the strangeness of God becoming man and being born in extreme poverty, in a rather Chestertonian manner. It hit all the right notes for what a Christmas tale should be - which is making the tale of Jesus' birth fresh and new and meaningful to ears which have heard it for years and years, and therefore, lost the wonder for God's great love for mankind. So, while I can't say I'd necessarily recommend the book because of its questionable content, there is, at the same time, something to be gained and enjoyed by those readers who choose to pick it up. It's very much a mixed bag.

The Lances of Lynwood, by Charlotte Mary Yonge**

The page Eustace is knighted after showing valor and courtesy taking a prisoner in battle, but finds himself the victim of slander and intrigue as he tries to act as rightful guardian to his nephew.

Why I picked it up: I needed another book to listen to while continuing to put the house in order, and this one (in the public domain) has been on my to-read list for a long time.

My impressions: When the book first started, I admit that it didn't seem as engaging as I recalled The Young Duke (also by Yonge) had been. However, by the end, I was invested in the outcome and pleased with the ending. This is a great historical fiction book for young readers - like G. A. Henty, but I enjoyed the prose better. The characters were rather static, but that did not prevent the tale from being enjoyable. The background research that must have been conducted helps immerse the reader in the worldview as it was then - with a special emphasis on chivalry. Some of the characters are superstitious and one healer woman is accused of witchcraft merely due to language differences, not looking pretty, and the hallucinations of the one in her care...her efforts to help him are rewarded with the burning of her hovel, although she seems to escape other harm. The focus of the tale is certainly on the nobility, the class where the rules of courtesy have the most hold. I enjoyed the tale, and I think others would, too - especially those readers who enjoyed Men of Iron and the medieval tales of Allen French.

By What Authority? An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition, by Mark Shea**

In order to defend the faith against proponents of the "Jesus seminar" (a group that promotes a very secular view of Jesus), an Evangelical dove deeply into how the Bible canon was established - and discovered that the authority of the Bible lies with the Catholic Church.

Why I picked it up: This audiobook was available for free on the Formed app. Within the last year, a galpal had blogged about reading it, so the title was more familiar when I was scrolling through Formed's offerings.

My impressions: This is a unique work - part apologetics, part personal witness, and just a little hint of conversion story, with some good humor and approachable imagery mixed in. I will admit that there were some parts that were a little harder to follow along with - whether from of the shortcomings of audiobooks for certain more involved works, or from fatigue of following a very thorough examination at times, I'm not sure. That doesn't mean this is a heady, formally academic book - it's well-researched, but overall, nicely readable (listenable??). I learned a lot about how secularism can try to undermine the Gospel, as well as about the role of "tradition" in the Catholic faith. Shea did some great research here, and his knowledge of the Bible shines and makes me want to fall more in love with the Bible myself. I think this would be a great work for high schoolers and older to read, whether they're interested in the Bible or apologetics.

Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library, by Chris Grabenstein**

A group of kids win a lock-in in a brand new library funded by the local bizarre game-making tycoon, and discover that a grand prize is on the line for the first person who finds their way out.

Why I picked it up: My cousin said he'd enjoyed the book, and as someone who enjoys children's books, I figured it would be fun to try. I forgot I'd placed it on hold through the library, so I was surprised to have it pop up when I recently opened up the library's online content app.

My impressions: Imagine an escape room, but the room you're locked in is a beyond-state-of-the-art library and the gamemaster is a super silly grown-up. Add some likeable characters (and maybe one or two not-so-likeable ones) and an underlying, right-there-in-the-open message about the wonders of a library, and you've got this book. This book was pretty good, and I can easily see lots of youthful readers enjoying this book. I'd say it's more fun than The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, one of the many works referenced in this book, and though it's a little light on the character development, it was a good romp and had a satisfying ending.

Tales from the Perilous Realm, by J. R. R. Tolkien

This book is a collection of fantasy short stories and poems by Tolkien, and includes his famous essay "On Fairy Stories" as an appendix.

Why I picked it up: I want to reread more books, and this was the one that struck my fancy for that purpose.

My impressions: Some stories and poems are better than others, with the first third of "Roverandom" being very slow, but the story finishing better. "Farmer Giles of Ham" was whimsical and delightful, as ever; "Smith of Wooton Major" was not as enjoyable this time around as I remembered it being, but still good. I can't say I loved the collection of poems either time reading through, but "Leaf by Niggle" hit home in the lovely way that it has. It is a little uncomfortable in parts - the parts where I feel called out - but it is also poignant and beautiful. It is the call-out that Lewis' The Great Divorce is, as well as Bishop Barron's identification of beauty as a very important means for evangelization. It is a reflection on mortality, the gifts we are given, the works of mercy, and helps inspire a longing for Heaven - at least, it did for me. This is a great book for fans of LOTR, but some of these stories would be good for any reader, I think.

Awaking Wonder, by Sally Clarkson**

The homeschooling mother of four talented, creative children gives a description of her family's education model, values, and some encouragement for those who educate children, to boot.

Why I picked it up: I'm trying to make use of the books I can listen to for free through the Audible subscription I have, which I'll probably end soon; this book sounded interesting to me, since I'd heard about the Clarksons through podcasts and read a book by one.

My impressions: I think this books is great for laying out the "whys" behind homeschooling, with the emphasis being on the desire to awaken a sense of wonder, which can lead to a dedication to lifelong learning. It reminded me of grad school, and the discussion of trying to make us "critical thinkers," as opposed to...well, uncritical thinkers, who just accept what we're given in class. I appreciate that Clarkson stated that, even if one doesn't homeschool their kids, her ideas can be adapted to other educational models. While I'm pretty confident that she's right, this book definitely approaches education with a homeschool model in mind. I love the sound of what can be achieved - who doesn't love the idea of an education that is personalized to each and every child, instead of teaching to a quasi-arbitrary standard? However, as someone who is not likely to be able to pursue the homeschooling route, it's a bit difficult to imagine how these ideals can be enacted with children attending the average public/private school. Come to think of it, I've encountered multiple advocates for homeschooling in recent years. These entities seek to encourage homeschooling parents and praise homemakers for all the beautiful work they do, assuring them that it's worth it - and it absolutely is. No argument there. But where are the podcasts and books encouraging parents in dual-income households who desire to impart beauty and foster wonder in their children? Maybe I'll have to become that resource. Someday. Maybe not. Tangent done. This book would be great for homeschooling parents, those parents considering homeschooling, and those needing to reconnect with their ideals for why they desire to raise their children in a way that isn't considered normal today.

A Heart on Fire: Rediscovering Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, by Fr. James Kubicki, S.J.

This priest explains and explores the devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, considering its history and more contemporary documents and addresses.

Why I picked it up: This was one of many books recommended or listed as resources in The Heart of Perfection, one of the best books I read last year. I wanted to learn more about this devotion - I've heard about it for forever, but I thought it would be worth exploring more deeply.

My impressions: This book is a great introduction and explanation of the Sacred Heart devotion. I learned a lot, including that the devotion - although outlined explicitly in the second millennium (1600s maybe?), one could argue it has roots all the way back in the early Church. Especially helpful were explanations of the promises associated with the devotion (the promises aren't meant to indicate devotees automatically get to Heaven - they actually denote that there will be certain fruits that naturally come to bear in the lives of faithful devotees) and the explanation of why the Morning Offering is such a beautiful and important prayer. This book has me more intentionally thinking about what may or may not be pleasing to Jesus, saying the Morning Offering prayer with more intention and regularity, and discussing with my husband about the possibility of devoting our family to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, maybe in the summer. I think any high school or adult Catholic would benefit from reading this work, particularly those learning about the devotion, or those who, like me, have heard of this devotion all their lives, but couldn't really explain its elements or why it's important.

Bracket Play

This month's bracket was hard to complete because, while the books sometimes shared similarities, they were, at heart, all vastly different from each other. However, I knew who the winner would be from the start.

I began by relegating Lost in Thought, February's forgotten read, to its own little island where it wouldn't compete. Poor lost little work. It was alright, but I felt it was a book that is best enjoyed in a physical format.

Then, I began the work of whittling down the competitors. Tolkien's short stories definitely won out over the questionable-content-laced work The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. That second book did pack a punch and leave me pondering, but Tolkien's works - the ever-delightful "Farmer Giles of Ham" and the heartache-inducing-in-the-best-way "Leaf by Niggle" amongst them - left it far behind. And it's something I feel I could recommend to a wider audience. I opted for Sally Clarkson's work on educating children and instilling wonder over Yonge's historical fiction mainly because Clarkson's work had me mulling over things more. However, with such disparate works, it's hard to judge. Kubicki's book - the only physical book I read this month - won over Mark Shea's apologetics-personal witness work, and Understood Betsy beat out the more modern children's work by Grabenstein - although that was a good one, too. After the first round things got easier as far as figuring out the bracket goes. Tolkien beat Clarkson, and the religious work Heart on Fire beat Understood Betsy. In fact, Kubicki's book went on to win it all. His work had me thinking, praying differently, and making resolutions. It was definitely worthy of winning a month packed with books.


Books Put Down

A Severe Mercy, by Sheldon Vanauken

A man relates the nature of his hyper-close relationship to his wife, Davy, their befriending of C. S. Lewis, their conversion to Christianity, and his loss of her to illness.

Why I picked it up: It had been on my list for a while, I'd picked it up cheap, and it was the first book my Well-Read Moms group was discussing.

Why I put it down: Well, I could tell it was going to be sad, and about halfway through, it wasn't as enjoyable or as peaceful an experience as I would have liked. I also had other books I wanted to read, namely one I had in mind for Holy Week. So, I can see myself trying it again someday, but I would probably skim through the rest, if I'm being entirely honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment