Sunday, May 5, 2024

April Book Bracket 2024

April 2024 Book Bracket

This month was apparently a lot busier than I thought it would be, but things were busy with trying to exercise more regularly, reading a book out loud with my husband, and spending quality time with him (including writing a blog post with lots of input from him!). There wasn't as much time for books this month as in March, but I still managed to make it through a few.



What Jesus Saw from the Cross, by A. G. Sertillanges

A prolific Dominican writer of the 20th century considers the environment of Jerusalem at the time of Christ and reflects on what Jesus may have been thinking of during his Passion.

Why I picked it up: My husband's father recommended this book to us and actually loaned us a copy - I ended up returning his copy because, surprise surprise, I went to look at our bookshelves and found that we had already acquired this book at some point! I learned about this book maybe last year, but I wanted to save it for Lent this year.

My impressions: Wow, this is an incredible book. It's part topography and part historical review, but it's mostly spiritual reflection. It was beautifully written, and I found I was taking notes over striking passages throughout. I've decided that Sertillanges likes to us paradox to make points - it reminded me of Chesterton's great love of paradox, but Sertillanges' usage of it felt more subtle than GKC's. This book was great to read for reflections, since the book is broken up into chapters, and those chapters are separated into many smaller portions that are just right for morning prayer or short reading spurts. However, the book was great for long-form reading, too. I will say that the author presents his work from a rather definitive perspective - I guess I'm trying to say he doesn't say, "Oh, this is what Jesus might have been thinking about," which would probably have been more accurate - rather, he just presents things as being a certain way. It doesn't affect the benefit the reader gains - it was just something I noticed that raised my eyebrow a bit. Also noted was the author conflating Mary Magdalen with the sister of Lazarus and Martha and the woman who wept over Jesus' feet and dried them with her tears. Even with that, though, he had some fantastic reflections. I absolutely loved sitting down with this during Holy Week and focusing on this work leading up to Easter. This book would be great for any Catholic or Christian, and especially as Lenten or Holy Week fare.

To Kidnap a Pope: Napoleon and Pius VII, by Ambrogio A. Caiani**

A historian chronicles the rocky relationship between one of the most notorious conquerors of all time and the Pope at that time in the context of social and political European events.

Why I picked it up: So, I remember hearing about a wild relationship between Napoleon and a pope when I was in Church history in high school, and I think I reflected that it sounded like it would make a good movie. Then, I saw this book at my favorite local bookstore. How delighted I was to discover this book was available for free through my Audible description!

My impressions: I'm writing this up about a month after I finished listening to it, so it's already a little hazy. I thought it was an interesting read - I wasn't disappointed. However, there were a few parts that I wanted to skip over, including the excesses, crimes, and abuses of the French Revolution - including shortcomings of Catholic priests and bishops. I also didn't like the chapter about Napoleon's divorce from his first wife and remarriage to another woman. The author sounded like he had a balanced take, but it's hard to know for sure, and I always wonder how fair these historians are to the Catholic Church. There was at least one explanation of a key Catholic belief that he got wrong in his description. I think some things might need to be taken with a grain of salt or may be the author's conclusions rather than the fruit of hard historical evidence. In spite of a few slow parts, I still think this tale could make a really great movie. I think that both those interested in secular and Catholic history might enjoy this book, but I'd probably keep it to adults.

G. K. Chesterton and Our Lady: Readings and Essays on Chesterton’s Spiritual Life, by Nancy Carpentier Brown, Karl Schmude, Maria Romine, James G Bruen Jr., Fr. Robert Wild, Sam Guzman, Dr. Peter Floriani**

Multiple scholars and Chesterton followers wrote this collection of essays, which focus on Chesterton's faith and especially his relationship with Our Lady.

Why I picked it up: I had tried several different audiobooks and this is the one that stuck.

My impressions: This was a nice listen, and rather fitting to have a collection of essays about a writer who wrote thousands of essays. It was academic, but not so academic that it was hard to follow when listening. It was interesting that the same Chesterton writings were referenced time and again, but I think it helps make the point that Chesterton actually spoke about his personal faith experience rather rarely, especially for such a prolific writer. I added a book or two of his poetry to my to-read list because of listening to this book, and was intrigued enough by one essay to look up a certain statue in his home parish. I enjoyed one essay that took a look at The Man Who Was Thursday especially. This book would be great for any GKC fan.

Book Bracket



It was a pretty basic bracket this month, considering that there were only three books completed. While it makes for a less exciting bracket, I found it was a lot faster to create. I knew who the winner would be - What Jesus Saw from the Cross - so the only question was who would win the first round. I decided to give the victory to the selection of essays about GKC, because if I'm being honest with myself, I have a soft spot for the guy. Sertrillanges' book beat it, but it was a very deserving win. This is a month where, even though some of the books weren't ones that I had planned to read, and I put others down didn't feel like I was just taking in fluff.

Books Attempted and Put Down


The Ark Plan, by Laura Martin**

In a post-apocalyptic world in which oversized dinosaurs reign and humans hide in underground bunkers, one outcast tween takes a dangerous mission upon herself to find answers and help out.

Why I picked it up: It had been recommended on the Read Out Loud Revival podcast and it sounded interesting.

Why I put it down: Well, I wasn't at peace reading it. I felt unsettled, like how I felt at the end of The City of Ember. I put it down to find a book I'd feel better about reading. It wasn't the book for me right now, but maybe I can come back to it later.

How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization, by Thomas E. Woods Jr.**

A historian looks at the Catholic Church's role in history.

Why I picked it up: It looked interesting and I think it had made it's way onto my to-read list.
Why I put it down: I tried another audiobook on Audible and it just wasn't keeping my interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment