Saturday, August 31, 2024

August Book Bracket 2024

 August Book Bracket


I was delighted with how many books I finished this month - and that is with school starting up again, too! I was also tickled to see that the majority of books read were physical books, rather than audiobooks. I think it's been rather rare for me to have the preponderance of my books be physical in any given month when I've had access to Audible or found audiobooks on the local library's digital platform, and I like reading physical books.



The Door in the Wall, by Marguerite de Angeli

The paraplegic, Robin, grows in character and physical strength under the care of Brother Luke while his father is fighting the Scots - and he finds that his ailment may be the means by which friends are saved.

Why I picked it up: I needed to reread a book for my summer reading challenge. I wanted an easier read, and I recalled really enjoying this book.

My impressions: This is a very well written book - but I must say that I didn't delight in it as much this time as I recall having during the initial read. One thing that I love about this story is that Robin's character is evident not so much by telling, but by showing through his words and actions. The reader gets to see him grow from a somewhat spoiled and (understandably) irritable kid to a courageous lad. I think the fact that there is not too much plot is what kept it from being "the bee's knees" for me - I usually need a pretty compelling plot - but there was enough driving action at the end that much could be forgiven. I tried looking up this book in the blog archives, but unfortunately, it looks like I'd read it before I started writing these posts, so I don't remember what had charmed me so completely the first time. In any case, this is a great book about Medieval times and would be an excellent read for elementary readers - or those older readers like me who enjoy children's literature. 

The Context of Holiness, by Marc Foley, O.C.D.

A Carmelite looks at the life of St. Therese of Lisieux through a psychological lens, applying different theories by different psychologists to explore what was going on in Therese's mind as she lived and became a saint.

Why I picked it up: I've heard about this book for a long, long time, and desired to read it to learn more about my heavenly friend and big sister. I've been rereading 33 Days to Merciful Love, and seeing this book come up as a referenced source yet again solidified my resolve to track it down. I had to consult the interlibrary loan system to obtain it, but it was satisfying to get it in my hands after all these years.

My impressions: I'm planning on doing a mini deep-dive - a mini-dive? A medium dive? - into this book in a separate post. It is an unusual work, because while Foley applies psychological theorems (as a Carmelite, no less), he also pulls in numerous literary references and even personal experiences. It's not a memoir, and not a biography, it's something all it's own. I think I'm typically skeptical of attempts to psychologize historical figures or literary characters, and with psychology being one of those fields where there's a bunch of theories but no definitive one, I read the book with a grain of salt. Rather, I kept the salt shaker close by. And yet, even with significant reservations on my part, I appreciated much in the book. I gained a greater appreciation for St. Therese and the struggles she faced, and marvel at how much I missed in my multiple readings of her spiritual autobiography. This book would be appreciated by those who love Little T, and I think it would be good for those who think that she's too saccharine or perfect.

Note: This book deals with psychological theories and makes conjectures about some of Therese's temptations being sexual in nature, so it's not a book for young kids.

The Courage of Sarah Noble, by Alice Dalgliesh**

Eight year old Sarah must be brave when she cooks for her father, building a house in the American wilderness, and when she must wait with the local Indians for him to return with the rest of her family.

Why I picked it up: This happy gal got another good Audible deal for the next three months and tracked down a bunch of titles on it that were languishing on her to-read list. This was the first one I listened to while working in my office before students returned for the new school year.

My impressions: This was a quicker listen than I expected for a Newberry Award Honor book, but it was enjoyable. It is one of those old stories that is placed in early Americana, when European settlers were first settling in the wilderness. Sarah had a sweet friendship with nearby Indians in spite of language barriers, which I appreciated. I found the refrain of "Keep your courage, Sarah Noble!" rather repetitive, and I noted there wasn't much to the plot; in spite of this, though, it was almost a cozy little read. While it's not something that needs to be fast-tracked to the top of the reading list, it would be a fine book for younger readers of chapter books, I think - especially for those looking for some historical fiction of early America.

In the School of the Holy Spirit, by Fr. Jacques Philippe

One of my favorite authors, Fr. Jacques Philippe, explains how the Holy Spirit works in the soul and how we can improve in recognizing and acting on those inspirations.

Why I picked it up: This was another book I picked up on that golden day in Goodwill, when I walked away with four different Fr. Jacques Philippe books. This was my morning spiritual reading for a little while.

My impressions: Fr. Philippe did it again! I wrote down many takeaways, all the while feeling that I could just underline everything and that would just about cover it. I can't say that I'm suddenly better at noticing the Holy Spirit moving, but I'm trying to do my daily duties and watch for moments when he might be moving. I found myself wishing I'd found this book earlier in my life, when I had been discerning my vocation. This is a fantastic book for Catholics, especially those who are big Fr. Philippe fans like me, or want to learn more about how to practically try to attend to the Holy Spirit's movement.

The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum*

This Irish folktale follows the adventures of the King of Ireland's son (that's the only name he's given in the book) and his friend, Gilly, in a very interwoven quest.

Why I picked it up: This book had been on my to-read list for a while. I realized in the last year that it was in the public domain, so I downloaded it onto my Kindle. This is the second ebook I read after finishing the lengthy one about St. Therese's family, so I continue to be grateful that I sat down and finished that one!

My impressions: This is a work that grew on me as I read it, and I was pretty invested in seeing what happened next by the time I was approaching the end of the book. What bothered me at first was that it seemed like every other chapter was just people telling stories. It reminded me of when I read Phantastes by George MacDonald maybe four or five years ago - that work was also riddled with random extra tales, and they didn't really seemed connected to the plot. I was worried that this would be the case with Colum's book, and I didn't look forward to reading an anthology of half-developed short stories disguised as a novel. I was pleased to find some of those tales circling back and filling out throughout the course of the book, so I have to say that interconnectedness really appealed to me by the end. This is a folktale, but the style is very much the sparse narration of a fairy tale, which helped me appreciate what sort of story it would be. There was a lot going on, and it felt like there were two main characters by the end. I will say that some parts were a little sad or dark, and I was left with some unanswered questions (why did the King of Ireland's son's [TKOIS's] stepmother dislike him so much?), but many loose ends were tied up by the conclusion. This is a book that I could see myself handing to my future kids some day - and I think boys will appreciate this, because there are a lot of adventures TKOIS and Gilly have. I will note there are some elements parents might want to be aware of, such as interacting with wizards, pretending to be hanged, and engaging in some trickster practices that might be a bit questionable, but I didn't find anything that I was all that concerned about.

Rifles for Watie, by Harold Keith**

Kansas boy Jeff volunteers for the Union army after Missouri "bushwhackers" almost kill his father; he has varied experiences of army life as he travels across multiple southern states, including Arkansas, Missouri, Texas, and Oklahoma.

Why I picked it up: This was another audiobook of a classic that's been on my to-read list for a while, and I enjoyed it quite a bit in audiobook form. I actually tried listening to this in May, but it wasn't right for me at that time.

My impressions: This is one of those books where I can tell and appreciate why it's a Newberry Award winner. The main character, Jeff, is a likeable character and experiences a wide range of emotions during his army time. He encounters many different kinds of people, and gets to encounter Confederate soldiers and pro-Confederate civilians in such a way that he is able to see them as people and enjoy their company. The author doesn't shy away from the devastation caused by war, but he doesn't describe it graphically or in an emotionally wrenching sort of way that a more modern book might. Yes, there are scenes that might be too difficult for sensitive readers, but there is so much action going on that it doesn't feel like that much of the book is spent in dark situations. I think boys especially would love this book. This is another book that isn't too strong on the plot - it follows a young man's army career during the Civil War - but there was enough at stake in different parts to keep me wanting to listen to more, especially at the end, where it takes a bit of a survival-tale twist. I do want to point out that the main character participates in looting and some of his other actions are deceptive or questionable. This book could provide fodder for some deep discussions about morality, such as the lesser of two evils, fidelity to country, the permanence of right and wrong regardless of situation, and mitigating factors.

Code Talker, by Joseph Bruchac**

During World War II, Navajo Ned Begay joins the Marines and finds that his native Navajo language, which had been forbidden in his boarding school, is necessary to send encrypted messages on the Pacific front.

Why I picked it up: I came across this as a recommendation somewhere - whether in a list or just on the library's app, I don't know.

My impressions: The author does a great job of making the narrator's voice sound Indian. It is framed as a veteran telling his descendants about his experiences as a Navajo Code Talker. The reader gets lots of facts not only about WWII, but also about the injustices faced by the Navajo people. While there were parts of the story I was not comfortable with (the narrator says he and his family are Catholic, but he also participates in cultural practices that I'm not sure line up with the Catholic faith, such as praying with corn pollen), I was also surprised to find I wasn't feeling defensive, either. Yes, many white people and, presumably, Catholics were very unjust to the Navajo people, but there was not the sense of outrage and shame that I expected to have when it came up. Maybe it was different encountering this information via audiobook. In any case, I think this book is well-researched. Like Rifles for Watie, this book lacked plot, but was still interesting in following the military career of the main character. I've always been interested by the Navajo Code Talkers, so it was cool to learn more about them. Some parts of the book might be sad or difficult for sensitive readers, but I found it to be less emotionally difficult than some parts of Rifles for Watie. Besides that, and the earlier note about cultural prayer practices (which are described with some detail), this book might be well liked by boys especially, and in particular, those who are interested in World War II.

33 Days to Merciful Love, by Fr. Michael Gaitley 

Fr. Gaitley outlines a prayer program of 33 days to consecration to Divine Mercy, which he calls “Merciful Love”.

Why I picked it up: This book came up in spiritual direction, and my spiritual director said it would be good for me to reread.

My impressions: This is a good consecration book. I don’t feel as excited about it as I was the first time I read it, although I still consider it very good. This work fits in well with my recent increase in St. Therese-related literature. I think the parts I appreciated most about it were in the introduction and first week’s readings, in which Fr. Gaitley discusses how there are some people who like to say that Little T isn’t really little – she’s a spiritual giant. He goes on to say that these people aren’t right and that we sinners really do have a great friend helping us from Heaven. I found it interesting that St. Therese is the saint he focuses on, as St. Faustina would be a much more obvious choice. However, biased as I am, I don’t mind that decision! I did skim some of the last part that deals with consecration day specifics, and skipped the appendices. This book would be best for someone who is new to this consecration, but it’s good as a reread, too.

The Practice of the Presence of God, by Brother Lawrence

A Carmelite monk's practice of keeping God present to his soul throughout the tasks of the day is described and discussed in this collection of records of conversations, letters, and maxims.

Why I picked it up: Fr. Jacques Philippe referenced Brother Lawrence in some of his works, and I found out this year that it was a book on the reading schedule for a book club I joined.

My impressions: This was a quick read as far as length goes, but it's the sort of work that had me trying to turn to God more while reading and, hopefully, continuing throughout my days. It was good to take it in little chunks, not only to absorb what was being said, but also - to be entirely honest - because sometimes it didn't hold my attention well. It's a good book, and beloved by many, but it didn't hit me the way I had hoped it would. I noticed that some of the parts seemed repetitive, but that's not surprising, since this book was actually a collection of different forms of communications - conversations, letters, etc. It's not surprising that a monk with a simple method of staying close to God explains this method in a consistent manner. I think that this book might be really good for me in a future season, but I still benefited from it now, seeing that it has inspired me to try to turn to God more throughout the day. This book could be good for many Christian readers - I'm not sure what age would be the youngest to read it, but I imagine middle schoolers could find something beneficial from it, if there were interested.

The Wednesday Wars, by Gary D. Schmidt**

Seventh-grader Holling, son of a successful but ruthless architect, finds his school year - and empty Wednesday afternoons of being the only kid in class - is full of misadventures, surprises, and some major wins.

Why I picked it up: This book ended up on my to-read list at some point (maybe after reading Before Austen Comes Aesop?), and it was one of many books that were available for free through the Audible subscription

My impressions: I wasn't impressed by this book at first, and I almost put it down. The start made it seem like there was going to be subterfuge and conniving between Holling and his teacher. However, I'm so glad I stuck with it and listened to the whole thing. It wasn't too long after I considered whether I wanted to keep listening that things improved. There's not really a plot to the story, but this seems to be the month of listening to audiobooks with little-to-no-plot and actually enjoying it. There's some great character development, a wide range of emotions and relatable experiences, and yet, the main character strikes me as an extraordinary boy - who is quite ordinary. What I mean is, he's like every person out there - when you really get to know a person, you can appreciate just how amazing they are. I don't know how to say it, but it was a really satisfying listen. Schmidt did well in creating what I imagine would be the feel of the world in the late 1960s, and he worked in Shakespeare beautifully. Holling is the only Presbyterian in his class, with the others being either Catholic or Jewish, but I felt like the different religions were represented fairly and respectfully - actually, I think Presbyterianism was the one faith that received more humorous prods than the others. There are a few moments of heartbreak in Holling's family (strict authoritarian parent, lack of love in the household), and things aren't all wrapped up neatly at the end on the home front, and yet, I was left with a sense of hope for Holling. There were a few flippant comments about if [x] happened, life wouldn't be worth living, or people making death threats if [y] doesn't happen, but other than that, I couldn't see anything to be concerned about. Well, some humor about posterior ends, but nothing dirty. This book is a great example of how really great children's books aren't just for kids - adults can enjoy them, too. I certainly did, and I think many middle school readers and older can enjoy this heartfelt, humorous story.


Bracket Play


This is one of those horribly unfair months where I have to choose the winner between two extremely different but excellent books.

The first round paired up pretty neatly, with religious books going against religious books, and children's fiction going against children's fiction. I even had two war books that paired well. The Wednesday Wars was a fantastic read, and while The Door in the Wall was good, it wasn't as good as I remembered it being. The Wednesday Wars won. The book about St. Therese of Lisieux and her life, as viewed through a psychological lens, beat  The Practice of the Presence of God. Both were good, but I would be more excited to read The Context of Holiness again than I would the good but somewhat repetitive and simple work by Brother Lawrence. TKOIS was a very interwoven book that definitely beat the cozy but fairly plotless The Courage of Sarah Noble. Fr. Philippe's book (expectedly) beat the reread of 33 Days to Merciful Love, but that doesn't mean that the losing book was bad - it just wasn't as amazing as its competitor. Rifles for Watie was definitely my preference in the war books.

The second round also wasn't too bad to pick winners for. Fr. Philippe's book beat the remaining war book, TKOIS lost to The Context of Holiness. It was a little sad to see that last book go down in the next round, but it lost to the very worthy The Wednesday Wars. Then, the whole bracket idea that I came up with upset me again because I had to compare a moving work of children's fiction (which almost won the Newbery Award) with an influential spiritual work. Do I pick the one I'm probably going to tell people about how unexpected and great it was (Wednesday Wars), or the one that has affected my life by making me think more about how the Holy Spirit moves in my life? I picked the latter - which is why In the School of the Holy Spirit is on top - but I couldn't fail to give The Wednesday Wars recognition, so it rests as co-winner but not quite winner-winner (for the sake of the final bracket at the end of the year).


Books Attempted and Put Down

Pax: The Journey Home, by Sara Pennypacker**

A sequel to Pax, the story of a boy who releases his pet fox into the wild, and then tries to reunite with him in the middle of a war.

Why I picked it up: I hadn't loved Pax, but this book had been recommended as a supplement to something else I'd read.

Why I put it down: This was another book I accessed through the public library. I just wasn't enjoying it. There's some kinda heavy stuff that the main character has to work through - a broken family, death of a family member, stuff like that. I just wasn't enjoying it, so it made sense to put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment