Friday, October 2, 2026

September 2026 Book Bracket

September Book Bracket



A quiet month for reading. I was pleased to finish a book that was a big time commitment - The Evidential Power of Beauty - as well as three other books that were either partially finished or sitting in my to-read pile at home. I was disappointed in three books I attempted, but was glad to move them out of my to-read pile or off the to-read list.





The Evidential Power of Beauty: Science and Theology Meet, by Thomas Dubay, S.M.


A priest reflects on the ways that scientific research and Catholic theology agree about beauty.

Why I picked it up: I attempted this before, after it was recommended by a cousin, and lost interest soon after the first chapter. I made this second effort in the summer, realizing I needed to read it as research for a writing project. There's also the desire to read more of the books that are sitting, unread, on my shelves at home.

My impressions: This book is academic without being painfully so, but it takes a serious commitment to work through it. It felt like an intellectually stimulating work that was just within what I felt I could comfortably follow, at least for the most part. I'm glad I persevered this time through, because it was a good and thorough study of its subject, and I gained information and new insights relevant to the writing project. The author had read widely and knowledgeably in many fields, but referred often to some of his favorite authors - the most notable of which was Hans Urs von Balthasar. In fact, I wonder if maybe this is a somewhat more accessible, single-volume variation of von Balthasar's multi-volume work The Glory of the Lord, referenced throughout by Dubay. This book would be good for Catholic readers seeking an intellectual and well-researched work about the intersection of science and faith on the topic of beauty.


The House of Sixty Fathers, by Meindert DeJong


During World War II, Tien Pao, separated from his family, tries to escape from behind enemy lines with the family pig to rejoin them.

Why I picked it up: This is a book that's been on my to-read list for ages - probably one of the earliest books to show up on the list - and I found a free copy when a teacher was giving away her classroom library.

My impressions: This book had a slow start and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get into it, but I found it exciting and of excellent quality. I didn't realize this book was also by the author who wrote The Wheel on the School, which was too slow for me, but this one was much better as far as being an engaging story. The subject matter might be difficult for some, as DeJong details some of the realities of war and starvation, but I felt like he said no more than he had to, and often had the characters turning their heads away from something particularly horrendous. Tien Pao's reactions had the feel of verisimilitude, so much so that I wondered if this story might have arisen from the author's own experience - I think it must have, at least in part. I felt that the title referenced one of the least important parts of the book, but it was still a good story. My favorite part of this book was witnessing the joy of reunion between Tien Pao and his family; it really gets to the heart of the love parents have for their children. This would be a good book for more mature middle schoolers who can handle some more difficult content related to war.

The Coral Island, by R. M. Ballantyne*/** (audiobook narrated by Tom Weiss)


This tale of shipwreck and survival details the account of three youths who must survive on a bountiful coral island in the midst of waters that are plied by pirates and cannibals.

Why I picked it up: A friend of mine mentioned this title in reference to my appreciation for survival tales. I read just over half of it in e-book form, and finished it in audiobook form on Librivox.

My impressions: Well, this book has many racist views throughout, but I also found the first person narrator to be too wordy. Details of surviving on the island were just too numerous, and it didn't seem like the trio had a hard time doing it - there was a bounty of food all around them. Finally, a little after the halfway mark, one of the characters leaves the island, and more of a plot forms, but it took to long to get to that point. There are multiple instances of graphic violence and I wondered how much of the story was sensationalistic. I will say that author did a fine job of distinguishing the personalities of the trio, so that was a good point for this book. I'm afraid I don't have much else to say in its favor. There are many excellent survival-on-island stories out there, and I'd recommend one of those, not this one.


Far North, by Will Hobbs


Gabe moves north to be close to his dad, but finds himself facing the brutal wilderness of Canadian winter when the bush plane which carried the pilot, himself, his schoolmate Raymond, and Dene elder Johnny Raven fails.

Why I picked it up: I picked up this book for free from my parish's elementary school; they were getting rid of tons of books, and this survival tale looked like it was just my type of story.

My impressions: There was a lot of danger to overcome and plenty of action in this story, with one part being particularly gripping. The perils seemed realistic without being a manual of "how to survive a winter in Canada". There was some good incorporation of Native American characters and traditions as well, although some of the more spiritual practices seemed to lean harder into pre-Christian beliefs than orthodox Christianity. Besides the Native American spirituality, I don't recall there being anything that would be troubling about the book, other than the death of some individuals and the descriptions and death of game animals that were hunted for food. I liked the strong emphasis on learning from one's elders and holding on to traditions, as well as the theme of friendship and the sheer grit shown by the characters. This could be a good survival story for some readers, such as those who enjoyed Hatchet, but it's not impressive enough for me to keep this copy or plan to reread it.

Bracket Play



Few books means an easy bracket! I had three survival tales and one theological book about beauty, so I was able to pick one of the weaker survival stories against Dubay's academic work. The best survival story, The House of Sixty Fathers, was not the typical survival story, as it was about surviving in a war-torn and famine-stricken land, but I was able to give it a placement on the bracket that took it to the next round.

In the second and final round, Dubay's academic work beat The House of Sixty Fathers. The winning book was wide-ranging, well-written and researched, and thought-provoking. I'm glad I finally committed to giving it the time it deserved.




Books Attempted and Put Down


Our Only May Amelia, by Jennifer L. Holm


May Amelia lives with her Finnish-American family (parents and male-only siblings) on the Pacific Coast at the turn of the century, and her adventurous, lonely girl-heart yearns for a younger sister.

Why I picked it up: I think this was on a recommended reading list somewhere, and I picked it up for free when a teacher was getting rid of her classroom books.

Why I put it down: I was enjoying this book, in spite of a few elements that would've prevented me from recommending it (swearing and using the Lord's name in vain, mention of harlots, brief descriptions of old neighbors killing themselves, etc.), but when tragedy strikes a treasured family member, I couldn't deal with it and put down the book. An older family member is so cruel, and I wasn't going to hang around for another several dozen pages to see a traumatized and distraught May Amelia finally get herself turned around and into a better place. Reading up on a summarized version of the ending was plenty good enough for me.

The Winter People, by Joseph Bruchac


A young Native American sets out to rescue his mother and sisters after his peaceful village is attacked by English colonists in a surprise raid.

Why I picked it up: Based off the cover, I thought I'd enjoy the book. I actually found two copies at some point.

Why I put it down: The book wasn't engrossing me, there was kind of a weird mix of Catholic beliefs and Native American spirituality, and I just wasn't convinced I wanted to keep dedicating time to reading it. I'm alright with trying this out, realizing it's not for me, and getting rid of it.

Everything Sad is Untrue, by Daniel Nayeri**


Nayeri writes a rambling account of his lived experience being a child refugee from Iran living in Edmund, Oklahoma, and trying to keep his memories and heritage alive even as he tries to fit into his new country.

Why I picked it up: It was recommended by Haley Stewart as a children's book that embodies "hope".

Why I put it down: I wasn't picking up much on what made the book so hopeful for Stewart. I made it about 30-40% of the way through the book before deciding that I was interested in what was happening, but it didn't appear to be bearing good fruit in my life. There was a lot of infidelity, divorce, and a reference or two to sex in this book, which also did not help recommend itself to me. There were lots of elements that worked for this book: an engaging narrator, references to the Thousand and One Arabian Nights (albeit with more adult content in a few of those references), and some good writing that helped me easily picture what was going on. He called out cruelty and indifference as evil, explaining sins of omission without using that actual phrasing, so I can see how this could be a good book for some, although it wasn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment