Book Bracket July 2026
My year of reading is halfway over, but there are plenty more titles to be enjoyed! I was late getting this month's bracket posted because of my return to work.
The Poisoned King, by Katherine Rundell**
This sequel to Impossible Creatures follows Christopher back to the Archipelago to solve the mystery of the death of the great dragons, while the Princess Anya discovers an evil plot to take over her grandfather's kingdom.
Why I picked it up: One of my relatives really liked the first book. Even though I wasn't a huge fan of the original work, I figured I'd try this one out. It was available through my local library's e-system.
My impressions: I thought I'd give Katherine Rundell's writing another chance, and while some aspects of the book were better than I expected, I'm not glad that I committed to finishing it out. I remember being put-off by some of her analogies - in audiobook form, I think some of them worked better, but not always. The story of the princess was quite intriguing and I was caught up in it, but once she started focusing on her desire for revenge, she became a less compelling character. The book ended with most of the right notes regarding revenge, which was good, but I was made uncomfortable by a reference to an immortal being, this time reincarnated as a male (had been female in the previous book). There were references to creating an antidote that sounded a lot like making a magic potion (eye of this, heart of that, etc.), which is not my favorite sort of fantasy, and there's a legendarium or appendix at the end that talks about mythical creatures, the first one containing a story with an LGBTQ element. I can see how this sort of book might appeal to some readers, but Rundell's writing isn't for me, and outside of personal taste, I don't recommend this one, because there is no lack of excellent fantasy books to choose from.
Come to Mary's House: Spending Time with Our Blessed Mother, by Shawn Chapman
A Discalced Secular Carmelite shares reflections on Our Lady, ending each of 39 reflections with an imaginative meditative exercise that invites readers to spend time encountering Mary in her house.
Why I picked it up: I acquired this book through a cousin book-exchange before Advent, and decided I needed to dip into it after it sat on my shelf for half a year. Yes, this is another book in the "anti-library" that I decided I needed to try.
My impressions: There are some very good reflections on Mary included in this work, some engaging personal stories, and moving imaginative meditations. However, I found that not every reflection or imaginative meditation reached me. As always, there were times when I was mentally ready to make time for reflecting, but much of the time, I was not. I think that this book could be a really powerful one for some readers, and I think the reflections might be more relatable to female readers. This book could be worth a try for someone who is interested in more imaginative prayer and/or is looking for a different way of encountering Mary.
Rebellion 1776, by Laurie Halse Anderson(*)
Elsbeth, a serving girl separated from her father, must wait out uncertainty in the midst of battle, changing employment, and plague.
Why I picked it up: I'd enjoyed another book by this author, and since it was buy-one-get-one-free at my school's book fair, I figured I'd give it a try.
My impressions: This book was an interesting picture inside Boston during the start and early part of the American Revolution, especially with smallpox raging in the city, but the story fell short in some ways. There were far too many descriptions of puking and poxy patients. The story was surprisingly sad at one point. While I found many characters multi-faceted, I didn't truly like any of them. The playing out of the smallpox issue within the story was interesting, but there was definitely a scene that felt like it was a historical version of COVID vaccine debates, with the scene playing out a little woodenly, too. I didn't like that the main character tried justifying her deception and stealing to herself, even though it made her feel awful - there was also a lack of negative repercussions for those actions. I didn't find this book as good a historical fiction as Tolliver's Secret or Carry On, Mr. Bowditch, so I wouldn't recommend reading this one.
A Lion to Guard Us, by Clyde Robert Bulla
In 1609, three children make their way across the ocean to reunite with their father in Jamestown.
Why I picked it up: I saw this on Audible and recommended reading lists and thought it would be interesting to try. This one was available through my alma mater's library.
My impressions: This book is a quick work of historical fiction about the early settling of America. I learned a bit about how people might come to make the move across the sea and felt some solid research underpinned this work. The story was simple and focused, which I liked, but I felt the illustrations were a little too stylized and, therefore, distracting. This is a quick read, and while I won't recommend it as a must-read, there's certainly nothing to object to, other than the deaths of some adults and a description of a poorly-made toy as a "demon doll." Mid and upper elementary readers could tackle this book without issue.
The Reb and the Redcoats, by Constance Savery, narrated by Karen Savage**
Four British children wonder why their once-warm injured uncle is so mean to the American prisoner of war during the time of the Revolutionary War.
Why I picked it up: I obtained this with an Audible credit at some point. I think I was intrigued by the story looking at an aspect of the Revolutionary War I hadn't considered before - that some soldiers would have been captured and held as prisoners of war.
My impressions: This book lacks a lot of action, but has enough interpersonal conflict to keep things interesting. This work of historical fiction depicted a time and place that felt real, and also portrayed characters doing realistic things. The story hangs well together, with an object introduced in the first paragraphs showing up and playing an important role through the length of the story. There's some discussion of a doll working "magic", but I didn't get the sense that this was a significant element in the story, and pretty easy to gloss over. Readers will still enjoy happy and complete lives without reading this book, but it could be a good one for upper elementary readers who are interested in a slightly more British look at the Revolutionary War.
The Light Princess, by George MacDonald, narrated by Fox in the Stars**
This fairy tale about a weightless princess depicts the beauty of giving one's life in love for another.
Why I picked it up: I'm starting to get concerned about being able to finish a reading challenge this summer, and this book gave me twice as many points as the other books I've been reading. I accessed this one through Librivox (thus, the interesting name of the narrator).
My impressions: This fairy tale can get pretty sad in one or two parts, but it is a beautiful story and worth revisiting from time to time. I'm not sure that this one was written to be read aloud, but it is still very good. I like that the author doesn't just establish an oddity - that a princess has no gravity; he explains or hints at some different ways this problem is truly a problem, and not just a plot device. The prince is truly noble, and I think the best part is seeing how his love transforms his beloved. This might be a good read-aloud (or would it be?), but elementary readers would probably be able to tackle this story.
Tree and Leaf, by J. R. R. Tolkien
This slim volume is a combination of his famous essay, "On Fairy-Stories," and his short story "Leaf by Niggle."
Why I picked it up: I needed to reference the essay for something I'm writing, and wanted to finish the volume for the purpose of some reading challenges I'm doing this summer. Grateful once again for university libraries, which sometimes have books available when I need them!
My impressions: Still so good, even on the third or fourth reading. If you are interested in the creative life, this book is a very interesting look into it; it's theory, but also art. The essay is excellent, even if the beginning is a bit slow, but I love Tolkien's writing. The short story is simple and beautiful. People should read this.
St. John Henry Newman A Doctor of the Church for Our Time: Spiritual Guide for the Catholic Heart, by Sr. Mary Catherine Blanding, IHM
A religious sister introduces Americans to the newest Doctor of the Church, St. John Henry.
Why I picked it up: I have a personal connection with the author, attended a university named for this saint, and wanted to learn more about him.
My impressions: This is a great introductory work, but it's also important to treat it more like meditation material than a biography. I felt called out by some of the things this saint had to say, but was also encouraged and shown areas where I could work on my relationship with God. There is some biographical information, but I liked that the author spent more time discussing major themes St. John Henry concerned himself with, as well as his personal convictions. She really brought home just how relevant this Victorian saint is to our time. This is a great book for anyone who is not familiar with the saint and would like a place to start.
Runaway Ralph, by Beverly Cleary
The motorcycle-loving Ralph from The Mouse and the Motorcycle feels suffocated by his family's priorities and runs away to what he imagines will be a grand time at a summer camp.
Why I picked it up: This is a book my husband and I read together this summer.
My impressions: The first chapter was dynamite. The rest of the book couldn't live up to that high standard, but it was still excellent in so many ways. We laughed throughout the reading of the book and were happy to share how much we enjoyed that incredible first chapter. The plot did feel a little weak, but the ending was satisfactory. This would be a good book for younger elementary readers after they've read the first book in the series.
The Magician's Nephew, by C. S. Lewis, narrated by Kenneth Branagh**
This book from the "Chronicles of Narnia" series introduces readers to the origins of Narnia when two children in Victorian England travel to different worlds by means of a vain uncle's magic rings.
Why I picked it up: I'm continuing to read through this series with cousins, and this was the next book on the list. I started reading the physical book but eventually transferred to the audio version.
My impressions: This book is so good! I actually got a little creeped out by the dying world, which is often one of my favorite parts, but it wasn't so bad once I moved to the audiobook version. C. S. Lewis can feel a little heavy-handed at times when it comes to communicating a message in this series, but it still works. It's still an engaging adventure. This book, as well as all the other Narnia books, should be read by pretty much everyone who is upper elementary age or older. Well, I don't have such positive feelings for the final book, but that is future Jessica's problem.
A Right To Be Merry, by Mother Mary Francis, P.C.
A Poor Clare nun beautifully writes about life as a contemplative in a newly-established monastery.
Why I picked it up: This book was recommended to me by a family member who is discerning a vocation to become a religious sister. I've been yearning to find this book, and finally realized that my alma mater had a copy! Happy day! Although, this copy is old enough that the author was known as "Sister Mary Francis" rather than "Mother Mary Francis".
My impressions: Wow, this book was even better than I thought it would be! It's been a while since I've marveled at the quality of writing in a book - I think Elizabeth Goudge was the last author to amaze me this way. I wrote down a lot of quotes from this book and wouldn't mind acquiring this one for my own library. I do wonder if Poor Clare orders still live in the manner described in the book (pre-Vatican II), but even if changes have occurred, I think this book captures the spirituality of St. Francis and St. Clare - and shows the beauty of contemplative life so charmingly - I still think it is relevant for Catholics today. The author does briefly discuss the penances and difficulties that are part of the life of a contemplative nun, but she focuses much more of her time on the joys of her life. This is a great book for Catholics of all ages to enjoy, I think, starting with as young as mature middle schoolers.
The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict, by Trenton Lee Stewart, narrated by Del Roy**
This prequel of sorts to the "Mysterious Benedict Society" series introduces readers to the orphan Nicholas Benedict as he faces challenges in a new orphanage, including bullying, loneliness, and narcolepsy.
Why I picked it up: I saw a family member reading one of the other books that take place later in the series. I looked up a different book by this author, found it was unavailable as an audiobook at the time, but discovered this one available through my library's e-system.
My impressions: The book was pretty lengthy, but it had a lot of good elements in it. A timeless quality in a fun setting - who wouldn't enjoy exploring a manor-converted-to-orphanage with Nicholas and his friends? Those friends were developed well, and the main character displayed some excellent growth. There were some elements of mystery, but it was not a mystery book. As I recall from reading other books in the series, there continued to be an implication that, if you're extraordinary and clever enough, maybe the rules don't apply to you. The ending wrapped up all the loose strings as well. This book would be worth considering to read if you've enjoyed the books in the "Mysterious Benedict Society", which is good for middle grade audiences.
The Elements of Style, 4th Edition, by William Strunk Jr. and E. B. White
A resource for writing well, including sections on grammar, misused words, and style.
Why I picked it up: I purchased this book years ago. I started reading it months ago and bogged down. This summer, I decided it was time to finish reading it. I want to improve my writing skills.
My impressions: This book sometimes was so slow that I got bogged down. However, I wish that it was something that had been suggested to me during my high school or college education. It is just a beginning place; a reference book; a collection of some writers' opinions; but it is a great starting place if you're trying to write well. I haven't applied much (if anything) so far, but I hope to revisit it in some future revision activities.
Bracket Play
Thirteen books this month made for another full bracket. I paired as many similar books as I could in the first round, which took slight precedence over pairing weakest books against strongest ones. That's why some good books didn't make it past the first or second round, when they very well deserved to do so. Included in the books that I felt should have gone further in the competition were the writing guide The Elements of Style and The Light Princess. I'd also give the same distinction to The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict, which maybe should have won that first round...but I couldn't deny that the first chapter of Runaway Ralph is the strongest one that I've read of any book, children or adult, for a long time.
The second round sent one really good book out of the fight, Tolkien's Tree and Leaf, a great little work with some of his most iconic thoughts on Story, as well as one of the best short stories I've ever read. Runaway Ralph fell to Lewis' The Magician's Nephew, which was fantastic as an audiobook narrated by Kenneth Branagh. I was glad that the book about St. John Henry, by a local author, made it through this round, as did the Poor Clare book, A Right to Be Merry.
In the closing battles, Lewis' fantasy beat the book about St. John Henry, but ultimately fell to A Right to Be Merry, a book so beautifully written and so encompassing of the spirit of St. Francis and St. Clare of Assisi that I would happily read it again - and, indeed, aspire to own it someday. This is a deserving winner for the month.
Books Attempted and Put Down
Christy, by Catherine Marshall
Idealistic young Christy volunteers to teach at a poor mission church in the Appalachians, and finds her soul expanding and maturing in response to the extreme poverty, violence, and beauty she encounters there.
Why I picked it up: This was a book chosen for one of my book clubs.
My impressions: I made it through quite a bit of the book, skimming some sections here and there, before I finally decided to quit. There were parts of the story that I liked quite a bit - it had Christian messages without being too preachy, it took a good look at hard things, it had some elements that were a little reminiscent of the Little House books, like their regional foods and preparations. However, there were some pretty bald conversations about adult topics, including rape and infant death. I won't say there was no plot to the book, but the plot that it had was certainly unconventional. Maybe that's because the book was focused very much on the change in Christy as well as the events happening around her. I think I put it down because I reached a point where I thought, "They're really talking about that?" one too many times (another adult topic), and I wasn't interested enough in seeing how she changes from being engaged to one man to...well, I won't spoil it here.
Lincoln's Lady Spymaster: The Untold Story of the Abolitionist Southern Belle Who Helped Win the Civil War, by Gerri Willis** (narrated by??)
Biography of Elizabeth ..., who from the heart of the Confederacy ran a spy ring in service of the Union.
Why I picked it up: I came across this on my library's app and it sounded interesting.
Why I put it down: My experience with the first book of the month helped me decide to put the book down - even though I was 80% finished. There was far less information about the subject and her life than I expected, and too much about the Civil War and its events in general. Too much time spent on other people - John Wilkes Booth, Ulysses Grant, etc. I'd gotten probably what I was going to get from listening to the book, and I moved on to others.
The Scarlet Pimpernel, by Baroness Orczy*
An Englishman navigates a potentially treacherous relationship with his wife as he disguises himself to save French noblemen in danger of death by the French Revolution's guillotine.
Why I picked it up: I've read this one before, but some friends wanted to read it for book club, so I obtained it in ebook form.
Why I put it down: Honestly, there was too much focus on the relationship of the married couple. While I'm getting back into attempting books that have clean romantic elements, I'm still pretty limited. It's good to have tried this one, and I'd possibly be interested in trying other books in this series if there's more focus on the adventure side of things.
The Sword in the Stone, by T. H. White, narrated by Jason Neville**
Wart learns much from his magical tutor, Merlin, in old England.
Why I picked it up: I read this in elementary school and wanted to try it out again. Available through my state's e-library.
Why I put it down: There were some elements of the writing that I didn't like, and I just felt too familiar with the Disney version to really enjoy this retelling. I figured my time would be better spent on something I enjoyed listening to more.


No comments:
Post a Comment